In this Linux tutorial, you will learn how to install Kali Linux operating system. Complete step by step installation with screenshots.
Table of Contents
What is Kali Linux?:
Kali Linux is a Debian-based Linux distribution designed for advanced penetration testing and security auditing. It is maintained and funded by Offensive Security Ltd. It was developed by Mati Aharoni and Devon Kearns of Offensive Security through the rewrite of BackTrack, their previous forensics Linux distribution.
Kali Linux comes pre-loaded with a wide range of penetration testing tools, including tools for information gathering, vulnerability analysis, wireless attacks, web application testing, password attacks, and more. It is widely used by cybersecurity professionals, ethical hackers, and security researchers to assess the security of computer systems and networks.
Because of its powerful suite of tools, Kali Linux is not recommended for casual or novice users. It’s intended for professionals who have a strong understanding of network security and penetration testing techniques.
It’s important to note that while Kali Linux is a powerful tool for cybersecurity professionals, using it for any unauthorized or malicious activities is strictly illegal and unethical. It should only be used in ethical hacking and security testing scenarios with proper authorization.
Kali Linux Features:
Kali Linux is a versatile and powerful tool for cybersecurity professionals, ethical hackers, and security researchers. It comes with a wide array of features that make it one of the most popular distributions for penetration testing and security assessments. Here are some of the notable features of Kali Linux:
- Vast Tool Repository: Kali Linux boasts a repository of over 600 pre-installed penetration testing and security auditing tools. These tools cover a wide range of tasks, including information gathering, vulnerability analysis, wireless attacks, web application testing, password attacks, and more.
- Custom Kernel: Kali Linux has its own customized Linux kernel, optimized for penetration testing. This kernel includes features such as wireless injection patches, support for a wide range of network devices, and other specialized features.
- Live Boot Capability: Kali Linux can be run directly from a bootable USB drive or DVD. This allows users to run Kali on any system without the need for installation, making it a versatile tool for on-the-fly security assessments.
- Forensics and Incident Response Tools: Kali Linux includes a suite of tools for digital forensics and incident response. These tools enable professionals to analyze and recover data from compromised systems, aiding in investigations.
- Wireless Attacks and Testing: Kali Linux is renowned for its robust support for wireless networking. It includes tools for wireless packet capture, analysis, and injection. This makes it an excellent platform for testing the security of wireless networks.
- Web Application Testing: Kali includes tools like Burp Suite, OWASP ZAP, and others, which are specifically designed for web application testing. These tools help identify and exploit vulnerabilities in web applications.
- Password Attacks: Kali Linux offers a range of tools for password attacks, including dictionary attacks, brute force attacks, and more. These tools help assess the strength of passwords and identify weak points in authentication systems.
- Metasploit Framework Integration: Kali Linux integrates seamlessly with the Metasploit Framework, a widely-used penetration testing tool. This provides a powerful platform for exploiting vulnerabilities and conducting post-exploitation activities.
- Social Engineering Toolkit (SET): SET is a powerful tool in Kali for simulating various social engineering attacks. It helps security professionals test the susceptibility of an organization to phishing and other social engineering tactics.
- Scripting and Automation: Kali Linux supports various scripting languages like Python, Ruby, and Perl. This allows security professionals to develop their own custom tools and scripts for specialized tasks.
- Regular Updates and Maintenance: The Kali Linux team is committed to providing regular updates and security patches to ensure that users have access to the latest tools and features.
- Community and Support: Kali Linux has a large and active community of users and contributors. This community provides forums, documentation, and support for users encountering issues or seeking advice.
Remember, while Kali Linux is an excellent tool for ethical hacking and security testing, it should only be used for authorized and legal purposes. Unauthorized or malicious use of these tools is strictly prohibited and may have legal consequences. Always ensure you have proper authorization before using Kali Linux for any security assessments.
Video of Kali Linux Installation:
Kali Linux Installation:
Kali Linux is a free software, therefore you can download it from Kali official website.
You can either burn downloaded ISO file into a DVD / USB and then use that device to install Kali Linux on your Data center servers.
Or you can directly attach the ISO file into your virtual cdrom, if you are installing on VMWare or VirtualBox.
Start your server machine to initiate Kali Linux installation.
From “Kali Linux Installer menu”. Select “Graphical Install” and press <ENTER>.
Select your preferred Language and click on “Continue”.
Select your desired Location and click on “Continue”.
Select your Keyboard layout and “Continue”.
Set a hostname for your Kali Linux machine.
Enter fullname of your first Linux user and “Continue”.
Enter the username for your first Linux user.
Set a password for your first Linux user.
Configure the clock of your Linux machine.
Choose your preferred partitioning method and press “Continue”.
Select a disk to create partitions.
Select a partition scheme and click on “Continue”.
Confirm and create partitions as per selected scheme.
Enter size of Volume Group.
Confirm and create LVMs according to your partition scheme.
Choose software to install on your Kali Linux operating system.
Confirm installation of Grub bootloader in your primary drive.
Choose device for bootloader installation.
Installation has been completed. Click on “Continue” to reboot.
Press <Enter> to start Kali Linux OS.
Login as your first Linux user.
You have reached at the Kali Linux Desktop.
Conclusion – Kali Linux Installation:
In this Linux tutorial, you have learned about Kali Linux installation.